Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Marjorie

This here is the main reason I wanted to learn to embroider.  There is a beautiful little old lady that goes to my church.  Her name is Marjorie.  She is the sweetest thing to bless the planet in my opinion, and hails from California.  She was moved here by her children after she had a stroke a while back.  She has lost a lot of hearing, she walks very very slowly, and speaks with a slur and a stutter, but man is that lady's mind on top of things.  She does not live with her children, instead she lives in a rest home.  She misses her home in California dearly, where her husband, and two of her three children have passed away.   
I feel drawn to this woman because she is drawn to my children.  I was unable to be near my own grandmother the months before she passed away, and hey, if Marjorie likes to hang out with me and my kids, there ain't nothin' stoppin' me from visiting.
Anyways, that sort of got off topic.
Marjorie loves butterflies.  She has them all over her room.  She has collections of real butterflies that have been framed on her walls, and handmade butterflies that hang all around, and butterfly pins that she attaches to her blouse.  

She told me she hasn't always been crazy over them.  
It all started when she went to a butterfly exhibit in California when she was younger.  There were 'worms' she called them, and cocoons, and tons and tons of butterflies flying all over.  They would even come and land on you.

I can tell she just cherishes the beautiful creatures just by the way she talks about them.


6 comments:

Liz said...

That's gorgeous! And so delicate, too!

Gloria said...

Such a lovely story, and it is even more lovely that you have taken the time to befriend this woman. Good for you.
Best,
Gloria

Papgena Made It said...

That's a beautiful embroidery! I'm sure that Marjorie will love it!

Sonia Valdez said...

What a wonderful story. You are getting really good with the embroidery, Good Job!

Donna Perugini said...

Thank you for letting Marjorie connect with your children. Her life became upside down so instantly.

I love butterflys too!

andreamichelle said...

Good job! it's beautiful. Marjorie sounds sweet, I love gramndmas and adopted grandmas. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails