Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Travel Tuesdays: Uganda

My sister and I grew up moving around, mostly outside of the US.  In college I did two internships abroad.  Our parents continue to live in South America today and as my sister and I pursue this blogging gig, I find myself continually wanting to reconnect with my past and those experiences that have molded me into who I am now.  That is why I'd like to initiate "Travel Tuesdays" to give us an excuse to reminisce about our traveling pasts once a week.

First off, I'd like to feature some pictures from Kampala, Uganda.  While living there as an intern, I can not tell you how many times I bought some grilled corn, a bag of fresh nuts  or pumpkin seeds from an outdoor vendor.  
This woman here is selling mangos on her head; a very common sight in the city:

And here is the outdoor market for veggies and clothes
(I got some of my favorite fashion statements at some of these outdoor markets- for real!):

And I'd just like to point out the mangos and tomatoes in this illustration...

(a scene from our developing Haiti book)

The mangoes, tomatoes, bananas... everything in this scene came into my mind because of my past ;)

And take a look at this picture:

Don't you remember wanting to be just like Mommy and helping her out in everything she did?
I thought this scene was just precious!



Have a post about somewhere you've traveled?
Leave the url in the comments and I'll check it out!
-CK

7 comments:

Jocelyn Christensen said...

this is so cool...what a rich life experience you have!

Stacey said...

I love to travel! And the outdoor markets are so neat. We traveled to Guatamala a couple of years ago, and it's still one of my favorite trips. It was so wonderfully cultural. I think it's wonderful that you are sharing the amazing places you've been!

Kristina P. said...

How cool! I haven't traveled a lot, unfortunately. I wish I had more travel experience.

Patricia said...

Wow what amazing photos and experiences you have had!

Liz said...

What a great idea for a new feature! I'm sure you girls have amazing stories to tell!

julie said...

How neat! I would love to visit Africa one day. Looking forward to seeing your next edition!

Gretchen said...

What an amazing memory and experience to have! Great photos to show life in Uganda... that last shot IS precious!! =)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails