Thursday, October 8, 2009

Puffy Leaves

Yoho! And these are puffy leaves. While deciding on how to decorate for the season I went on a walk with my husband and daughter to collect handfuls of beautiful red and yellow leaves. When I got inside to study and really get a good look at them I was sort of grossed out by how dirty and buggy they were, so I decided to make my own!
Which brings us to this post, I'm trying out my first tutorial, I hope it's clear. Let me know if you have any questions.

On a spare piece of paper I drew half of what I thought a good leaf would look like. I then folded it in half and cut out the symmetrical leaf.
Trace the leaf on to the back of the fabric you have chosen. I've chosed green and red for the backing of my leaves and a few have fun and seasonal colors for the fronts. When you've traced as many as you like cut them all out.

Place two leaves together (make sure the front of the fabric faces the inside) and sew along the edge. Try to stay about a quarter of an inch or less from the edge.

After sewing along the edge I gut the tips of the corners off my leaves. This helps reduce the bulge when you turn them right-side out. I also cut a tiny slit in the crevice there. It's hard to see but it helps to keep the right-side out leaf from puckering. Don't cut too close to the thread, you don't want to accidentally cut it.


Turn the leaf right-side out and iron the edges flat.


Fill with a small amount of stuffing. Not too much, the tips of the leaves don't need to be stuffed.

Now sew the details on. Sewing through the stuffing makes these leaves puffy. You can make the design however you want, you could try letters or pumpkin shapes. I chose the veins of a leaf for mine. And yes, I would suggest you use brown thread for this. I happen to be out of it.

Use a hidden stitch to sew up the ends.


Yay! Nice clean leaves!






1 comment:

CK said...

Becky, the tutorial turned out great! The pictures/explanations make it look fun and easy. Are you going to post a picture of your stuffed pumpkins too?
luv ya,
Care

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails