Saturday, March 6, 2010

Oh so easy, oh so good!


I was invited to a lovely luncheon this week and when I asked what I could bring I was told that either a finger food or a dessert would be nice. Now 'finger-food' struck no cords in my brain, but dessert I can do. I finally decided to try a new recipe in my book that has made me drool every time I see the pictures. I didn't realize how easy it was going to be until I began the cooking. So easy that I would hardly call it cooking at all.

Basically all you need to do is to:
~ Preheat oven to 325 degrees
~ Melt about a 1/2 cup of butter in the bottom of a 9" x 13" pan
~ Pour 1 1/2 cups crushed graham cracker crumbs evenly over the butter
~ Spread small 14 oz can of sweetened condensed milk over the crumbs
~ Sprinkle 1 cup of chocolate chips on top
~ Cover with 1 1/3 cups shredded coconut and press down
~ Add some chopped walnuts if desired (I had none)
~ Bake for 25-30 min. or until golden brown
~ Try not to burn yourself as you begin eating the massive cookie right away



Now what is so wonderful about this awesome treat? Well besides the fact that it is super easy, while making it I realized that it could be changed to fit any taste. It's sort of like a glorified candy bar. The sweetened condensed milk turns out all chewy inside, and the coconut gets just a little crunchy. I imagine you could add a Mms layer in there, or pretzels, or even caramel. Peanut butter chips wouldn't be bad either.

...now only if I could recreate a Twix

Basically I can find no fault with this treat, other than the unfortunate long-term side effects of having downed the whole pan. Graham cracker bottom? Good. Chocolate? Perfect. Sweetened condensed milk? What can possibly go wrong with condensing sweetness?



It will make your house smell divine.

4 comments:

andreamichelle said...

This looks really good. I don't normally love coconut, but it still looks and sounds very yummy. You make me smile with your description:"Basically I can find no fault with this treat, other than the unfortunate long-term side effects of having downed the whole pan. Graham cracker bottom? Good. Chocolate? Perfect. Sweetened condensed milk? What can possibly go wrong with condensing sweetness?"

CK said...

This post is really funny and makes my mouth WATER!!!!!!! I WANT SOME!!!

My name is Becka said...

You guys are the best. I advise you to try the recipe and add your own layers, and then come back and share! I'd love to try new ideas!

My name is Lydia said...

Kay so I was just randomly looking through your blog and saw this post. I love it! It looks so tasty and your writing is adorable :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails