Saturday, January 15, 2011

Preschool Activity: Paper Bird Cut Outs

This week we learned about birds :)

and made birds like these


and some like these:


For some reason I thought that this simple design for a paper bird would be easy to find on the internet; the little paper bird with accordion-like wings that could move up and down seemed vaguely familiar but I have no idea where I got the idea.

So I made my own pattern for the bird and have it here to share with you.
This post is a throw back to my Preschool posts.  It provides a great activity to do with your little ones.

Just click on this image to enlarge and print it:

Cut on the solid lines and fold the wings on the dotted lines like so:

Glue it all together to make wings for your bird.

Here are two patterns for some bird bodies:

A Blue Jay:
And a Mourning Dove:

I printed these birds on cardstock, traced them on the back so that the birds were reversible and let the kids cut and color out the birds.


Folding the paper provided a great fine motor skill activity.  Once the wings were glued on, the kids had fun "flapping" them around the house.

And now the birds are hung from our ceiling fan like a giant mobile:





I added a few of these birds I was inspired to make from here.

To make the project quicker, I used cardstock for these birds instead of cardboard.


These birds were a ton of fun to make because I got to pick and assemble some of my unique, pretty scrapbooking paper ;)

Now all these birds are happily "flying" around our children's area.
I hope you all have had a great weekend!
Happy crafting,

-CK

This post has been linked up!
Photobucket

Check her out!  Jen's blog is FILLED with creative recipes and crafting adventures ;)

13 comments:

Joanne said...

I should make some of these with my kids...they would love it!

CraftyMummy said...

My little ones made some like this at church school one morning - but yours look trickier! Theirs were just a rectangle of paper made into the accordian wings.

Papgena Made It said...

That's beautiful! Thank you for the patterns! I have to try it with my daughter!

Jocelyn Christensen said...

I love birds of winter!

Jenn Erickson said...

CK, well, you know how I feel about bird projects -- Love them! I really love the way this project is accessible to all levels of crafter, and I definitely look forward to making some with my girls!

Liz said...

you've made your birds out of such pretty paper!

What I Did Today said...

So cute! I'm gonna have to test the fan folding on my oldest, to see if she's ready for this craft. Too fun!

Liz said...

My niece is coming to visit next month, we are so doing this!

Katie Lewis said...

Love this idea. Thanks for the templates!

Lisa said...

Pretty! These would actually be really cute for a mobile in a child's room too.

Katie @ EyeSpyDIY said...

What a great project for kids!

Michelle said...

Cute idea!

Jenn Erickson said...

CK, thank you so much for linking up this project to "A Little Birdie Told Me...". You know I'm a big fan! Ummm...no pun intended.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails